Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Thing #10

I have spent a lot of time on this task, and delayed posting anything about it. Here is my thought on the online image generators... I thought they were fun to "play" around with but I had difficulty finding where I can tie academics in to them. I think they would be fine if you want your students to play around with something new. I have previously posted a trading card that was created from Big Huge Labs, I can see ways those could be used in a classroom. As for the others, I am still working on generating my ideas for the classroom use. But they were fun and we all know every classroom needs the fun!

3 comments:

  1. I actually taught grammar using some of the Big Huge Lab products. The students had to come up with sentances - complete with captial letters and so on - granted they were second graders. They loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think grade level is an issue here. With 4-6th graders I think using the different tools can make everyday tasks a little more fun. I have used resumes as a note taking tool for 6th graders when they are focusing on one historical figure. I think the magazine and trading cards featured on big huge labs would work in a similar way particularly for a 4th or 5th level.
    For assignments that involve building games - It may be easy to use the trading card tool to create Monopoly-like cards. I think comic strip generators could be the first step in a quotation mark assignment.
    I also think image chef is fun and we used it at the end of the year as a part of a larger compilation project. For example one kid had a texas shaped word mosaic with names of all the major cities. I think it can add a design element to liven things up and add some interest.
    Hope some of these suggestions help you to think of creative ways you might integrate some of this "fun" tech!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually not sure how many of these fun things we can even use at school. There are so many things blocked...and don't even talk about color printing! But I remain ever-hopeful.

    ReplyDelete